What Do We Do?
Science Peer Academic Coaches help students achieve long-term academics through one-on-one conversations. Meet with a coach to co-create a plan of action, form a manageable study plan, and brainstorm ways to improve your learning.
An SPAC Coach can help you identify and improve:
- time management
- exam preparation strategies
- note-taking skills and more
Why See an SPAC Coach?
An SPAC Coach can help you if you are considering these questions:
- Not sure how to balance all of your courses, lab assignments, work, and still be healthy?
- Do you go to class and not remember anything once you leave?
- Too many textbooks and not enough time to read them. Want to know where to start?
- Could you use some help learning how to learn?
How Does It Work?
Students can drop by Coaches Corner when classes are in session, or book an appointment. For an appointment, the coach will first communicate with the student to set up a location on campus.
A coaching conversation is based on an individual's needs but will typically look like:
- Finding out what a student is wondering about
- Learning more about the student's interests and schedule, goals, current obstacles to goals, etc.
- Collaborating on creating appropriate solutions to try for reaching student goals
- Determining what follow-up the student would like, and how often
All conversations with a coach are confidential.
Want an Academic Boost?
Students who work with an SPAC coach see up to a 10% increase in their grades.
Coaches Corner is a drop-in centre where students can receive one-on-one academic coaching with an SPAC coach when classes are in session. SPAC coaches are happy to chat with you to create a study plan and discuss time management strategies.
We will also help you fill out an Action Plan to outline the immediate steps you’ll take to achieve your academic goals. Through this process, we’ll familiarize you with the wealth of resources UBC offers to facilitate your academic success.
Looking for a coach outside of drop-in? Book an appointment with a coach and meet with them anywhere on campus.
3rd floor, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
Opens Monday Sept 26