Science Advising is Renovating!
The UBC Science Advising office has moved to a new, temporary location at Ponderosa G, 2044 Lower Mall.
Study Biology at UBC
Join Canada's top-ranked science community. You apply online through youbc, but first, we'll run you through a few important things to consider before you begin your application.
Biology is a very broad field dedicated to the study of all aspects of living things and their vital processes. It encompasses the study of animals, plants, insects, and microbes as well as their relationships with their environments. Biologists work in industry, government labs, universities, park services, consulting companies, and other areas. Consider the range of occupational fields in the life sciences: agronomy, biophysics, developmental biology, environmental law, forensic entomology, forestry, genetic counseling, immunology, medical practice, molecular biology, neurobiology, secondary school teaching, veterinary medicine, and much more.
Program detailsThe Biology Program at UBC’s Vancouver campus offers an extremely rich range of specialty and course options that span the field’s many sub-disciplines. It is overseen by two Departments: Botany (in the academic field, one of the largest and strongest in North America) which focusses on plant science; and Zoology, another powerhouse department conducting research and teaching in developmental biology, comparative animal physiology, ecology and evolution. The Biology Program has one Major, two Combined Majors, eight Honours, and three Combined Honours options.
- Major or Honours, Biology
- Honours, Animal Biology
- Honours, Cell and Developmental Biology
- Combined Major or Combined Honours, Computer Science and Biology
- Honours, Conservation Biology
- Honours, Ecology and Environmental Biology
- Honours, Evolutionary Biology
- Honours, Marine Biology
- Honours, Plant Biology
- Combined Honours, Chemical Biology (See Chemistry)
- Combined Major or Combined Honours, Biology and Oceanography
Career options in Biology
With an undergraduate degree
- Animal husbandry and animal care worker
- Clinical research assistant
- Cytogenetic technologist
- Forensic laboratory analyst
- Government field scientist
- Health care administrator
- Lab technician
- Medical and clinical lab technologist
- Quality controller
- Science journalist, writer
- Wildlife rehabilitator
With additional study
- Animal biologist
- Conservationist lab technician
- Forensic scientist
- Genetic counselor
- Medical editor
- Medical laboratory technologist
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
- Physician Assistant
- Speech-language pathologist