Recruiting a diverse faculty and attaining excellence in our research and educational missions go hand in hand.
We will be at our best when we draw from the full spectrum of talent available, and when our students have access to role models and mentors that share their experiences. Being successful at recruiting members of underrepresented groups in a competitive market requires careful planning, good judgment and a significant, coordinated effort. We can benefit by sharing best practices within our faculty, and by adopting approaches already honed at our peer institutions.
The Faculty of Science Dean's Office and departments share the common goal of attracting the very best faculty members. The following documents are used as part of this goal.
Crucial Documents for Faculty Recruitment
Download the 2-page Checklist
Download the Job Advert Template
Download the Job Search Plan Template
Contacts for Faculty Recruitment
Assistant Dean, Human Resources
Stephanie van Willigenburg
Associate Dean, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Resources for Faculty Recruitment
Search Committee Certification Handouts
- Confidentiality Guidelines
- Conflict of Interest Guidelines
- Assessing Applicant Diversity
- Assessing a Diversity Statement
- Diversity Statement Article
- Unconscious Bias Article
Faculty of Science Recruiting Manual
Examples and Samples from Other Departments
- Evaluation Rubrics: generic (adaptable word document), EOAS 1, EOAS 2, EOAS 3
- Objective excellence evaluation criteriea: CHEM (adaptable word document)
- Online longlist interview protocol: CHEM (adaptable word document)