Science Advising is Renovating!
The UBC Science Advising office has moved to a new, temporary location at Ponderosa G, 2044 Lower Mall.
Study Computer Science at UBC
Join Canada's top-ranked science community. You apply online through youbc, but first, we'll run you through a few important things to consider before you begin your application.
About Computer Science
Computer science deals with using and improving computers as tools for numerous applications. For example, one stream of computer science is in computational intelligence, where people work to create computer systems that can perceive and reason about the world and surroundings. Bioinformatics is another stream in which computers are used to characterize and sequence the molecular components of living things. The Human Genome Project relied heavily on computer systems to store the human gene sequence. One can also study and design hardware and software programs and develop databases. Computer graphics and animation is another stream, which is used for creating games and movies and even modeling human body parts, which can be used to train medical students. Computer Science graduates move into high-tech careers as software engineers, systems analysts, technical writers, web developers, researchers, programmers, and software testers. They may also apply their computer skills to enhance careers as biologists, architects, foresters, teachers, and psychologists.
Program detailsStudents apply to Computer Science after completing their first year of studies at UBC. Admissions to Year 2 Computer Science take place in May/June, and students apply via the standard online application at the Faculty of Science. Students planning to be admitted for Year 3 or Year 4 should refer to the deadlines and procedures at the Computer Science department's website.
- Major or Honours, Computer Science
- Major or Honours, Computer Science (with Software Engineering option)
- Combined Major and Honours, Computer Science and Biology
- Combined Major, Computer Science and Another Science Subject
- Combined Major or Honours Computer Science & Microbiology and Immunology
- Combined Major and Honours, Computer Science and Mathematics
- Combined Major and Honours, Computer Science and Physics
- Combined Major and Honours, Computer Science and Statistics
- Combined Major, Computer Science and Chemistry
Career options in Computer Science
With an undergraduate degree
- Data scientist
- Database administrator
- IT security analyst
- Machine learning specialist
- Programmer analyst
- Project manager
- Software developer
- Software engineer
- Software tester/Quality assurance analyst
- Systems administrator
- Technical sales representative
- User experience designer
- User interface designer
- Video game developer/designer
- Website developer/designer
With additional study
- Multimedia developer