UBC Science, in partnership with the Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment, fund has a long-standing commitment to support and encourage women and women-identifying scientists early in their research career.
A critical barrier for the advancement of women and women-identifying researchers in scientific careers is the lack of affordable child care. To address this issue the Srivastava UBC Science Child-care Stipend was established to help alleviate the child-care costs for women and women-identifying postdoctoral fellows and graduate students in the Faculty of Science at UBC Vancouver.
Stipends are provided on an annual basis for UBC Science women and women-identifying postdoctoral fellows and graduate students who have primary care responsibilities for a child/children in the infant through pre-school age range (from birth up to five years of age). All applicants must show proof of child-care costs as part of their application. The child-care stipend is paid as a single lump sum, typically awarded in March for expenses of the previous year.
- Women and women-identifying postdoctoral fellows who have primary care responsibilities for a child/children in the infant through pre-school age range and who work full-time within UBC Science may apply.
- Women and women-identifying graduate students who have primary care responsibilities for a child/children in the infant through pre-school age range and who are enrolled in a UBC Science graduate program or supervised by a faculty member with a primary appointment within the Faculty may apply.
Previous stipend recipients are welcome to apply if eligible. If applying for support of more than one child, please combine in one application form.
Applications will be reviewed on an annual basis. Stipend decisions are made based on the availability of funds and the applicant’s eligibility.
The stipend will be paid out in a single, taxable lump sum. The size of the stipend is dependent on the number of applicants and may change on an annual basis. Successful applicants can expect to receive a minimum of $1,000 per year and child; the stipend will not exceed $4,000 per year and child.
This initiative is sponsored in memory of Dr. Vivien M. Srivastava, the first woman to receive a PhD in Zoology at UBC. Learn more about the Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment Fund and our women-in-science initiatives.
Applications must be submitted electronically to Science Initiatives. A complete application includes:
- Application form (including applicant’s and their supervisor’s signatures)
- Proof of child’s/children’s age (copy of birth or adoption certificate)
- Proof of child-care expenses (see application form for details)