Students » Minors

COVID-19 and UBC's response

Learn more on UBC.ca. See our commitment to UBC Science students and connect with Science Advising online or by phone.

What is a minor?

A minor involves taking courses in Science but outside the main area of specialization, or in another faculty (Arts, Land and Food Systems, Commerce, or Kinesiology). It allows students to focus their electives in a single subject or field of specialization. Apply by emailing a completed application form to Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca).

Course Change Form for Minors

If you make any changes to your list of previously approved courses for your minor, you must email the following form to Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca) for approval to still qualify for the minor.

» Course Change Form for Approved Minor

Science Minor: Minor in another Science specialization

Students in a major or honours specialization can pursue a minor in Science. Only courses recognized for credit in the Faculty of Science and acceptable for a science major in the proposed subject area can apply towards the minor. All Science minors must be approved by your program specialization (major) and minor advisors before emailing an application to Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca).



Arts Minor

Students should design a course of studies for their proposed Arts Minor, which must be approved by Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca) by emailing in an application form at the beginning of Year 3.

18-credit Minor in Arts
Students must email a completed form to Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca) for review.

30-credit Minor in Arts
Students need approval from the appropriate department/program advisor in Arts (not the Arts Academic Advising Office) before emailing a completed form to Science Advising (advising@science.ubc.ca) for review.

Application Deadline: Please consult the UBC Academic Calendar.


Commerce Minor

Students apply for a Commerce Minor in Term 2 of their second year. You must be eligible for second or third-year standing in UBC Science the next September and have achieved an average of at least 60% in the current academic year. Some COMR courses are offered with 'flexible' online components and less frequent in-class sessions.

Application Deadline: May 15, 4 PM


Kinesiology Minor

Students must have completed PHYS 100 or 101 and be eligible for third-year standing in the Faculty of Science with a cumulative average of at least 68% in the previous two years, and be eligible to enroll in either CAPS 301(6), or BIOL 363(3) and 364(2).

Application Deadline: May 15, 4 PM


Land and Food Systems Minor

A minor in Land and Food Systems may be undertaken by students in a major, honours, General Science, or Integrated Sciences program. 

Six Land and Food Systems (LFS) minors are available for Science students: 

  • Applied Animal Biology
  • Applied Plant and Soil Sciences
  • Food and Resource Economics
  • Food Science
  • Nutritional Sciences
  • Sustainable Food Systems

Application Deadline: Please consult the UBC Academic Calendar.