What is the UBC Science Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee?
A JOHSC is an advisory group of employers and employees working together to improve health and safety in their workplace. The JOHSC advises, assists and makes recommendations on policy and procedures which will improve health, safety and personal security of all workers. The UBC Science JOHSC works with unit-level Local Safety Teams (LSTs) by supporting health and safety issues that may not be rectified at the local level.
- Building inspections: JOHSC General Inspection and Report Template
- Liability Waiver Template for Lab Volunteers: Customize as Needed (Updated 2019)
Safe Work Procedures
- Accident/Incident Investigation Training for UBC Supervisors
- Biosafety Training
- Floor Warden Training
- JOHSC Training
- Safety Supervision at UBC [Mandatory for Supervisors]
- Chemical Safety
- Transportation of Dangerous Chemicals
- LASER Training
- New Worker Safety Orientation for Faculty and Staff [Mandatory for all Workers]
- Workplace Bullying and Harassment Training for Faculty and Staff [Mandatory for all Workers]
- Radiation and X-Ray Safety Training
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System Training
- Workplace Violence Prevention Training [Mandatory for all Workers]
- Privacy and Information Security Fundamentals Training [Mandatory for all Workers]
- Active Shooter Preparedness Workshop [Mandatory for all Workers]
Safeguarding Science Online
- Good Cyber Hygiene
- Mobile Security
- Cyber Security Tips for Travelers
- Cyber Security at UBC
- UBC Privacy Matters
- Assisting Students in Distress
- Supporting Survivors of Sexual Violence
- Hazardous Waste Information Sheet
- Occupational First Aid Program: FAQ
More About the UBC Science JOHSC
Local Safety Teams at UBC Science
LSTs support health and safety at UBC by conducting inspections, identifying and recommending corrective measures regarding unsafe working conditions, assisting with incident/accident investigations, and recommending health and safety initiatives for their areas. In the absence of an LST, the JOHSC will assume full responsibility.
News and Updates
Congratulations to Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences and the Earth Sciences Building local safety team on winning a LST Innovative Safety Culture Promotion Award at this year's UBC safety day!
Reach out Campaign
A year-long campaign to engage the UBC community in building a safer and healthier campus by raising awareness about key mental health resources. Request resources via email from the UBC Wellness Centre.
Contact Health Promotion and Education through the UBC Wellness Centre to set up an Automated External Defibrillator demo for your group or department.
Contact the UBC Science JOHSC
Glenn Sammis, Co-Chair
Kate Blackburn Co-Chair, CUPE 2950