UBC's Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies support graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and the entire UBC graduate community in pursuit of a personal, professional and academic experience second to none.
Professional advancement workshops
UBC Graduate Student Professional Development
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies' professional development program offers guides and workshops for graduate students to help them succeed academically and plan for a career after graduation.
MITACS Skills Enhancement Program
In support of MITACS mandate to bridge the academic and industry communities, the network has developed the MITACS Skills Enhancement Program. This program aims to help graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in the MITACS network position themselves as Canada’s future innovators and entrepreneurs by building on existing technical and ‘soft’ skill sets and providing opportunities for them to connect with potential, future employers and collaborators.
Graduate school advice and resources from across the web
How to succeed in science
On being a successful graduate student in the sciences
How to be a good grad student
So long, and thanks for the PhD!
Grad student resources on the web
Maternity and parental leave for grad students and post docs
- UBC Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies policies and procedures on leaves
- NSERC: Paid parental leave for students and post-doctoral fellows
- Paid parental leave for students and post-doctoral fellows at UBC
Communicating and Presenting
Presentation Zen: Blog on giving presentations and making slides
Beyond Bullets Blog
Why PowerPoint is Evil (Edward Tufte)
Srivastava career mentoring workshops resources
Resources and slides based on the interactive sessions of the 2008 and 2010 Vivien M. Srivastava Career Mentoring Workshops.
Making the Most of your graduate training
Transitioning After the PhD
- Work values: Knowing what’s most important to you
- The ordering of 51 work values
- Transitioning After the PhD: What I Learned at the V. Srivastava Career Mentoring Workshop
Panelists' Reading Tips
- Mixing Science, Activism and Community (PDF)
- CRA-W Career Mentoring Booklet (PDF)
- Resources for Women in Science