UPDATE March 3, 2022: THE SCIENCE PDF TRAVEL AWARD COMPETITION HAS BEEN UPDATED TO SUPPORT ATTENDANCE AT BOTH VIRTUAL AND IN-PERSON CONFERENCES. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR NEW ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.
In the current transition period as COVID-19 restrictions change and opportunities for in-person conferences increase, to support postdocs to attend all opportunities, the Science PDF Travel Award eligibility criteria has been updated to incorporate both in-person and alternate-format conferences.
Approximately two awards (up to $600 for virtual conferences and up to $1500 for in person conferences) are allocated, three times a year to eligible postdocs who have been accepted to present their work at conferences. UBC Science and the Postdoctoral Fellows Office within the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will jointly contribute two-thirds of the allocated award towards eligible travel costs contingent on one-third of the travel expenses being reimbursed by departmental or research funds.
Annual application deadlines are:
January 15 for conference travel between January 15 and May 15.
May15 for conference travel between May 15 and September 15.
September 15 for conference travel between September 15 and January 15.
Kate Blackburn in the Office of the Dean of Science administers the PDF Travel Awards.
- The applicant must be accepted to present an oral presentation or poster at a conference and must be the 1st author of the accepted abstract.
- The applicant’s supervisor’s administrative home must be in the Faculty of Science.
- No previous UBC PDF Travel Awards have been received by the applicant.
- The presentation must be on research performed during a PDF appointment at UBC.
- The applicant must be a current UBC PDF at time of application and at time of the conference.
- Preference will be given to holders of major fellowships external to UBC that do not have associated funding for conference travel.
- Conference registration fees
- Air travel
For information about per diem rates and other eligible travel expenses, please see UBC Policy #83: Travel and Related Expenses.
To apply, the following documents in pdf format must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single document in the following order
Please note: Filename must follow this format: Surname, First name (Department)_Competition Date
For example: Black, Rebecca (Statistics)_January 15, 2019
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Application Form *
- A copy of the applicant’s CV (4 page maximum)
- An outline of the conference including the virtual conference URL and Virtual Conference Platform (Zoom, GoToWebinar, etc.)
*Abstracts can be submitted on a separate sheet of paper and included in the pdf document immediately following the application form.
Applications are adjudicated by committee, and applicants will be notified of the status of their application by email approximately two weeks after the closing date.
In order to be reimbursed, award recipients must provide the following within three weeks of conference participation:
By mail, to the finance manager of the Applicant’s department:
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Reimbursement Form.
- Original, itemized and dated receipts.
- Copy of completed PDF Travel Awards Conference Report.
By email, to email@example.com
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Conference Report.
Applicants agree to submit a 200-word report of the activity to the Office of the Dean of Science via email within three weeks of their return, additionally granting the Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) permission to post this report on its website.
Please email Kate Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.