As part of UBC's ongoing efforts to support its young research talent, the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and UBC Science offer a travel award program for postdoctoral fellows.
The awards are designed to assist PDFs with travel to conferences to present research performed at UBC. Approximately two awards are allocated, three times a year. Funding will be provided, based on the individual awarded amount, up-to a maximum of $1,500 per recipient for travel associated with a conference presentation. UBC Science and the Postdoctoral Fellows Office within the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will jointly contribute two-thirds of the allocated award towards eligible travel costs contingent on one-third of the travel expenses being reimbursed by departmental or research funds.
The next application deadline is February 28, 2019 for conference travel between February 28, 2019 and June 30, 2019. Kate Blackburn in the Office of the Dean of Science administers the PDF Travel Awards.
- The applicant must be accepted to present an oral presentation or poster at a conference and must be the 1st author of the accepted abstract.
- The applicant’s supervisor’s administrative home must be in the Faculty of Science.
- No previous UBC PDF Travel Awards have been received by the applicant.
- The presentation must be on research performed during a PDF appointment at UBC.
- The applicant must be a current UBC PDF at time of application and at time of travel.
- Preference will be given to holders of major fellowships external to UBC that do not have associated funding for conference travel.
- Travel costs.
- Accommodation expenses.
- Meal expenses.
- Conference registration fees.
For information about per diem rates and other eligible travel expenses, please see UBC Policy #83: Travel and Related Expenses.
To apply, the following documents (pdf format preferred) must be submitted electronically to Kate Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Application Form (FAMILY NAME.APPLICATION.PDF).
- A copy of the applicant’s CV (4 page maximum) (FAMILY NAME.CV.PDF)
- An outline of the conference (FAMILY NAME.OUTLINE.PDF)
- Proof that the applicant will be presenting at the conference (FAMILY NAME.PROOF.PDF) **
** If official confirmation of acceptance of the abstract has not been received before the travel award application date, please submit proof of abstract submission. Receipt of an award is conditional upon being accepted to present at the conference.
Applications are adjudicated by committee, and applicants will be notified of the status of their application by email approximately two weeks after the closing date.
In order to be reimbursed, accepted applicants must provide the following within three weeks of returning from travel.
By mail, to the finance manager of the Applicant’s department:
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Reimbursement Form.
- Original, itemized and dated receipts.
- Copy of completed PDF Travel Awards Conference Report.
By email, to email@example.com
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Conference Report.
Payment will be generated by Financial Services. For questions pertaining to payment, please directly contact Financial Services Requisition Processing. Please note that original receipts will not be returned.
Applicants agree to submit a 200-word report of the activity to the Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) and the Office of the Dean of Science via email within a month of their return, granting the PDFO permission to post this report on its website.
Please email Kate Blackburn at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.