Failing Grades

Students » Failing Grades

Can I withdraw late from a course if I'm failing it?
No. There are regular deadlines for dropping or withdrawing from courses (see Drop/Withdrawal Dates). Students who have valid reasons for requesting late withdrawals should contact the Science Information Centre as soon as problems arise. Students who wish to drop a course because they're failing or not doing as well as they had hoped will not have their request granted.

What happens if I am registered in an honours program and I fail a course?
Normally, you'll no longer be eligible for an honours program. In order to stay registered in Honours, you must obtain special permission from the Associate Dean. Otherwise, if there is a Major option, you may switch to the Major program. If there is no Major option, then you must switch to an entirely different program that will help you achieve your academic goals.

If I fail a course then take it again, will my record show a final grade that is an average of the two? Or will the failure disappear once I pass the course?
The answer to both questions is "no." Anytime you take a course, whether you pass or fail, it is recorded on your academic record. So the failing grade always remains on your record. If you take the course again and pass it, that grade also gets recorded separately. Your transcript will show both grades.

Can I appeal my failed standing?
Every student has the right to appeal; however, an appeal should only be submitted if there is a compelling reason for poor academic performance. If you decide to appeal, follow the instructions described in the email that was sent to you regarding the Failed Year standing. Please note that there is an appeals deadline, to which you must adhere. To ensure that you receive this very important information, keep your email address up to date on the Student Service Centre. Please also avoid using Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail and other such email providers, as UBC messages are sometimes erroneously labelled as junk mail or spam.

Does it matter if I fail a course in the Summer Session?
Yes. Contrary to popular belief, your summer grades do matter. The Faculty of Science continuation requirements apply to both the Summer Session and Winter Session. For example, if you enroll in only one course in the summer and happen to fail that course, you will be assigned a Fail standing for the Summer Session. Don't register for a summer course unless you plan to take it seriously!

Do you feel you've been graded unfairly?
The Office of the Ombudsperson for Students is an independent, impartial and confidential resource to assist students in addressing and resolving concerns about unfair treatment at UBC Vancouver. The Ombudsperson is an advocate for fairness in general for the benefit of all students and the university community as a whole.