The Faculty of Science has introduced new degree requirements for students starting their BSc degree in September 2018 or later. If you are a current Science student, regardless of your start date, find out what this means for you.
- Started your BSc degree before April 2018? By default, you’re following the “old” requirements.
Be sure to check out the important information noted for you below.
- Started your BSc degree in or after May 2018? By default, you’re following the “new” requirements.
If you transferred to UBC Science in 2018, please connect with Science Advising to learn which degree requirements you are following by default.
You can learn more about the old and new requirements and review your degree progression to determine which is the best option for you. If you would like to request to be switched from the default option noted above, please complete the form at the end of the self-assessment.
By default, the changes to the Science Breadth and Lower Level requirements do not affect you.
You are following the degree requirements of the year that you started your BSc degree*. For instance, if you began your degree in September 2017, you will continue to follow the faculty requirements listed in the 2017/18 Academic Calendar. It is important that you review the information in the appropriate Calendar archive so you can progress in your degree.
To access your degree requirements via an archived Academic Calendar:
- Visit calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/
- At the bottom of the left navigation column, click “Calendar History”
- Click Calendar Archive
- Under the Academic Calendar column, select the year you started your BSc degree*
- In the Undergraduate Studies box on the right, select Science Degree Requirements
- Select the degree requirement you want to review from the index on the left
- Review what courses you need to complete
*if you change specializations from September 2019, your specialization change will require that you move to the new degree requirements in the Academic Calendar of the year you switched.
Archived Academic Calendars - Quick Access:
2018/2019 Academic Calendar | 2017/2018 Academic Calendar | 2016/17 Academic Calendar | 2015/2016 Academic Calendar | 2014/2015 Academic Calendar | 2013/2014 Academic Calendar | 2012/2013 Academic Calendar
There are many reasons why the Faculty is updating the degree requirements. These include:
Simplifying the degree requirements which should make course planning and registration easier for you
Further strengthening the multidisciplinary nature of a UBC Bachelor of Science degree – our BSc grads are well positioned to work in diverse roles within the field of Science
Recognizing the increasing importance of computer and statistical methods in science research