Explore networking, mentoring and career resources for UBC women scientists at all stages of your career.
UBC Science is dedicated to providing all students, researchers, post-docs and faculty with the support they need to fulfil their potential, and to promoting a diverse community. This page highlights networking, mentoring and career resources for women at all stages of their career – within the UBC Science community, on campus, and Canada-wide.
WiS Initiatives: UBC Science
Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment Fund
In memory of science pioneer Vivien M Srivastava, this endowment sponsors career-planning workshops and need-based funding for women graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in UBC Science.
Stipends and bursaries
- Vivien Srivastava Emergency Stipend for PDFs and Graduate Students
- Vivien Srivastava Child-Care Stipend for Postdoctoral Fellows
- UBC Bursaries (for Graduate Students)
- Vivien Srivastava Career-planning Workshops for Women Science Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows
- Vivien Srivastava Workshop for Women Science Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows – Practical Skills
- Vivien Srivastava Women in Science Research-Mentor Workshops for Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows
Women in Physics and Astronomy
A welcome for female students from the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Outlines benefits of studying the field and career options.
UBC Bachelor of Computer Science Program
This 20-month, full-time academically oriented program provides a second-degree entry into computing. Has a 40 per cent female participation rate.
Focus on Women in Computing
Arranges social and networking events for female students, a mentoring program, and a speakers series featuring successful women in IT.
Related Initiatives and Resources at UBC Science
- Jade Projects and Presentations
- Changing our World: Keynote by Maria Klawe at 2009 Jade Celebration
- Mentoring for science faculty: Principles, guidelines and resources for mentees and mentors
- Maternity and parental leave policies for graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and faculty members
- Childcare resources
WiS Initiatives: UBC
West Coast Women in Engineering, Science and Technology
WWEST is a program created by UBC Mechanical Engineering professor and NSERC Chair for Women in Science and Engineering, BC and Yukon Region, Dr. Elizabeth Croft. The program's mission is to provide support in the recruitment and retention of women in engineering, science and technology on the west coast.
UBC Welcome: Access and Diversity
Supports all female students, taking an intersectional approach to the issue of gender and providing a safe space to gather and connect in the women students' lounge. Site provides history of women's advocacy at UBC, highlights initiatives and points to other resources.
UBC First Nations Women
Site points to resources in the areas of Aboriginal women associations, equality, family and health, and provides background information (statistics, law, research).
WiS Networks: Canadian and international
- Canadian Women in Mathematics
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Computer Science and Engineering
- Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference
- Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research
- Committee on the Advancement of Women Chemists
- Women Chemists Committee of the American Chemical Society
- Committee to Encourage Women in Physics - Canadian Association of Physicists
- Women in Physics: American Institute of Physics
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology
- Canadian Coalition of Women in Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology
- Association for Women in Science
- Computer Science Online: CS Programs for Women
Maternity and parental leave for grad students and post docs
- UBC Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies policies and procedures on leaves
- NSERC: Paid parental leave for students and post-doctoral fellows
- Paid parental leave for students and post-doctoral fellows at UBC
Scholarships for Women Graduate Students and Post-Docs
- L'Oréal Canada For Women in Science Research Excellence Fellowships
- UNESCO-L'OREAL International Fellowships Programme for Young Women in Life Sciences
- Sigma Delta Epsilon/Graduate Women in Science (SDE/GWIS) Fellowships Program