The Faculty of Science at UBC in partnership with the Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment fund has a long-standing commitment supporting and encouraging women scientists early in their research career. The Srivastava Emergency Stipend was established to help with fast financial relief for women graduate students and postdoctoral fellows working in the Faculty of Science at UBC Vancouver, who experience sudden duress.
Stipends are provided for a wide range of circumstances that are considered sudden duress. This can include, but is not limited to, the need to move or seek support due to sexual assault or domestic violence, an unexpected costly medical emergency, or an emergency costly medical expense for a dependent child or partner, which is not covered by other sources (e.g., health insurance). All applicants must show proof in writing of the emergency expenses as part of their application and provide a short paragraph explaining the situation. If an emergency expense can be quoted in writing ahead of time, such as a required medical device, an application can be submitted for pre-approval in some circumstances.
Get immediate help
- If you have immediate safety concerns for yourself or others, call 9-1-1
- For urgent on-campus support contact UBC Counselling Services in Brock Hall
- Find resources on suicide prevention, sexual assault survivor support, counselling and UBC emergency funding below
Any woman postdoctoral fellow appointed within the Faculty of Science (UBC Vancouver) and any woman graduate student supervised by a tenure-stream faculty who is appointed within the Faculty of Science (UBC Vancouver) is eligible to apply. The applicant should be employed or enrolled at UBC at least for one more month after submission date of their application. Women postdoctoral fellows and women graduate students in Science are also eligible to apply if the emergency situation is in relation to their legally dependent child or partner.
Applications will be reviewed within two weeks. Applicants will be notified by email. Stipend decisions are made based on the availability of funds and the applicant’s eligibility.
The stipend will be paid out in a single, taxable lump sum. For emergency expenses higher than $250, successful applicants can expect to receive a minimum of $250; the stipend will not exceed $1,000 per application.
Resources for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows at UBC and UBC Science.
Help for Sexual-Assault Survivors
- Support for sexual assault survivors
- Crisis and emotional support
- Support for sexual assault survivors – for postdoctoral fellows
- How you can help a survivor of sexual assault
- What is sexual assault
- Equity Office Resources
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre Resources
- UBC Counselling Services – for undergraduate and graduate students
- Employee Family Assistance Program for postdoctoral fellows (UBC employees)
Emergency Funding and Bursaries
- UBC Emergency Funding – for undergraduate and graduate students
- Graduate Student Society Emergency Fund
- UBC Bursaries – for undergraduate and graduate students
- Vivien M. Srivastava Child-Care Stipend – for women postdoctoral fellows in the Faculty of Science
- Airlines offer reduced bereavement fares in the event of a death or imminent death in your immediate family (AirCanada, Lufthansa, Delta)
- UBC Science Parental / Maternity / Adoption Leave – eligibility, policies and procedures
This initiative is sponsored in memory of Dr. Vivien M. Srivastava – first woman to receive a PhD in Zoology at UBC!
More about the Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment Fund and women-in-science initiatives at https://science.ubc.ca/grad/wis/
Applications must be submitted electronically to Kate Blackburn (email@example.com), UBC Science (Dean’s office). All communications and applications are treated confidentially. A complete application includes:
- Application form including applicant’s signature and a signature from one of the following persons: research supervisor, graduate secretary of applicant’s department, or head of the department. You do not need to disclose your complete application to any signatories.
- Proof of emergency related expenses (invoice, copy of original proof of payment).
- If you apply for pre-approval, please submit an estimate of cost, i.e. copy of a quote.
Applications are accepted year-round.